Thursday, March 26, 2009

The dumbing of America


We hear about it all the time, school kids who can't find a given state on a map or someone who can't add 2 numbers without a calculator.

Here is another example of the dumbing of America, I went into my local Radio Shack to buy a cable for my computer.

While waiting my turn I got a bit annoyed with the chatter from the talking GPS device, while the clerk was ringing up my cable I asked if the chatter drove him nuts and he said he got used to it.

I then said what happend to reading maps, he then told me he had one and loved it, at that point the line at the top of this story came to mind, "the dumbing of America'.

This story is from AOL News

The phrase "You have reached your final destination" almost took on a whole new meaning for one British driver on Sunday when the soothing robot voice of his car's GPS became a siren's call luring him toward his doom.
The trusting motorist followed the device's instructions as it led him off the road and on to a narrow public footpath. Heading down the steep, rocky trail, he continued blindly obeying commands until the point when the front of his vehicle ran up against a thin wire fence, inches from a 100-foot drop. (story continues below)

"It kept insisting the path was a road, even as it was getting narrower and steeper, so I just trusted it," delivery driver Robert Jones reportedly explained after the incident.

Onlookers in the West Yorkshire village of Todmorden gathered to watch as police used a quad bike to haul Jones's BMW away from the cliff's edge and back up to the road. The 43-year-old, who now faces charges of careless driving, described the incident as a "nightmare."

Yeah give me a good map anyday.

No comments: