Monday, May 18, 2009

Just someone to talk to

I got this from the internet, I think the "punt" is sort of like the Indian Reservation.

On Saturday afternoon at the racecourse a middle-aged punter opened the door. “I’m too pissed to drive home” he told me, “and just want somewhere to stay overnight.” I told him to get in.


"Any luck on the punt?” I asked. After taking a deep breath he said, “I just dropped ten grand...but it’s only money, isn’t it?”


Then he proceeded to tell me his life story and given he’d chosen a classy hotel some distance away, I was a captive audience. But I didn’t mind as he was relatively upbeat and intelligent, without being boorish like some drunks.


“Basically, I’m a drunk,” he stated. “Because of the drink I’ve lost my wife and my family.” He explained that the problem began whilst chaperoning his teenage son around the country playing cricket.


Though the kid had been successful and reached State representation, my passenger turned to alcohol to help while away endless four day matches in cities and towns with only strangers for company.


“Then I started drinking back at home and after a few years it got so bad my wife decided she’d had enough. Now I’ve got no family, no friends, nothing. Nothing except work, drinking and gambling.“


It was apparent that he especially regretted losing his son and agreed that this really hurt. Yet he seemed surprised when I suggested he was headed for a lonely death, like he’d never considered that possibility and he fell silent as we reached the hotel.


We chatted for a further five minutes and with another passenger waiting I decided to force the issue with some brutal honesty. “Well, mate," I blithely stated with a smirk, "if you’re going to drink yourself to death, you might as well save time and end it now !”

Immediately I regretted the comment and had visions of him plummeting from the top floor of his hotel. Fortunately, however, he chuckled at the black humour and conceded, “Yeah, I know, it's bloody ridiculous, I have do something. Got any suggestions?”


“It’s probably too painful for your family or friends to do the heavy lifting,” I said. “But if you want to regain their respect, start with a professional.” Grabbing a pen and taxi card I jotted down, ‘Gambling, Drug and Alcohol Clinic’. “Ring your local Health Service,” I told him, “They have free counselling on Medicare.”


He was so thankful for the advice he shook my hand three times in gratitude...then waited for his $3.50 change. It was my turn to chuckle.


Now the ending has happend to me on numerous occations. I hope the author of Tampa Shots has found the free virus protection.

No comments: